Monday, April 18, 2011

Mexican Food for the Dairy-free

So, I promised to write about Mexico and never did. So I will!

First off, my visit to the doc was uneventful in the allergy area :( but they did do a lot for my asthma, and have gotten it under control a lot better. Here's hoping, I have another appointment in May.

So, Mexico! The food in Mexico was great, and let me tell you why. They stick to natural, fresh, local ingredients. There was a place there that was our favorite for the homemade Pico de Gallo. This is a type of salsa that is tomato, onion, cilantro, lime juice, and Mexican magic (because I can not make it as good as it was there!!). Also, I had some very tasty guacamole while I was there. Some corn tortillas, guac, pico de gallo and lettuce and you have a filling, healthy, non-dairy meal. I ate many other delicious dairy-free meals there too, including a pork and pineapple dish, so good! I also got to gorge on fresh bananas every day (which in Mexico look like they just came off the tree ripe to eat, as opposed to the US where they are picked weeks early and are still green!)

Now, as most of you know I am a busy girl and I am not known for cooking much. So I try to find easy, cheap ways to eat well. So I want to draw your attention to Wholly Guacamole and pre-made Pico de Gallo. I get my Pico de Gallo from Food Lion. It's in the produce section, and I think it was a little over 3 dollars. Even Cricket likes it.

You can pair it with all types of things. It's great. Get some today.

I love guac, and I always have a hard time finding perfectly ripe avocados. Wholly Guacamole solves this problem for me. This package was around $4 I think, and it has 2 7-oz packets. Previously I would have though $2 a serving was a lot, but I have to say that my health and the time I save not having to make the stuff is worth that money!! The "pico de gallo" flavor means that it has little chunks of pico instead of being smooth, which is how guac should be anyway.

Also, it was not difficult to avoid cheese in Mexican food like I thought it was going to be. They add cheese to everything in the US to make the food more appealing to Americans but in reality, Mexican cooking is not as dependent on cheese as you would think, coming from America. Sometimes I would ask for something without the cheese on top, but in general I had no problem finding something that didn't have a dairy ingredient in it.

I am pretty sick so I'm going to go back to resting, but happy eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment